Wednesday, May 2, 2012

February 19, 1947 Sew Much Fun, So Many Wrecks, Finished with Amber and The Sweeping Measles

Pennsylvania RR Ad, 1946

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We've been having some cold and some fairly warm days.  It is the wind that I hate and we usually have that.  Today is nice and sunny but cold.

Aren't you having fun with the machine?  You must sew most of the time from the list of things you say you've made.  Your suit is certainly pretty and the blue will be perfect with it.  Did you find a pattern and how are you making it?

The paper you were sending hasn't come yet but I guess it will soon.  It seems like it takes mail an awful long time to get out here.  The train wreck on the New Haven road may be the reason the paper hasn't come.  Did you ever hear of so many wrecks in your life?

I saw in the paper (Mirror) that the W.S. Lea house was for sale.  Were you interested at all?  I don't think I was ever inside it but it always looked comfortable and homey from the outside.  I don't think I'd like either of the houses you mentioned in your letter.

I guess you'll never have a better chance to sell your rugs but it would be silly to buy rugs to fit the house you're in and you'd have to have some.  Your feet would really get cold without rugs on the floor.

I have finished Amber but I just don't know what to think of it.  It was very interesting but plain vulgar to our way of present day thinking.   People were so wicked then. 

I am going to McLeod's again tomorrow.  I'm going to stay with the children while she goes to a party that is being given for her.  The older boy is recovering from the measles so they can't go to any neighbors to play.

The measles are sweeping the state but they don't seem to be serious this year.  So far, we haven't heard of any cases in our neighborhood.

The faculty wives tea was really nice.  It was the day before Valentines so they used red and white for decorations.

Although we don't know for sure yet, B will probably teach the last semester of this summer and that means we'll be coming home in July.  He doesn't care whether he teaches the first or last part of the summer but some of the other teachers prefer the first part.

News is pretty scarce so take care of yourselves."

                    Lots of love,

                           B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  There was a serious wreck on Feb. 18, 1947 on the Pennsylvania Railroad's Red Arrow.  Use the link for details.  http://www.gendisasters.com/data1/pa/trains/altoona-trainwreckfeb1947.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!