Saturday, May 19, 2012

December 9, 1947 Reading and Radioing, Getting a Kick Out of Fruitcake, Playing with a Pound and Discovering Something New

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I am alone this evening so have been reading and radioing.  B is gone to what they call a "Smoker" at the college.  It is a men's party in honor of the athletic teams.  They have speakers and then sit around and talk.  Today if the first day of a new term.  B's classes begin at 9:30 this time so we are sleeping a little later--at least until the snow begins.  Then we'll have to be up early enough so he can have plenty of time to get to school.  We had some snow and ice over the weekend but it is gone now. 

My Xmas shopping is finally finished and we hope to get everything mailed this week.  We aren't making big Xmas plans but thought it would be nice to have a fruitcake.  I always get such a kick out of making the things as well as eating them.  Now that we have our radio and will soon have the baby we'll have a big enough Christmas for anybody.  We'll probably have a chicken dinner by ourselves unless we are invited out which I doubt.  We'd just as soon have the day to ourselves since we can't be with the rest of you.

I'm so sorry about Chloe's baby.  It would be so disappointing to wait so long for it and then have to lose it.  Did they ever decide what was wrong?

From now on I have to see Dr. January once a week.  I weighed 133 last Monday and he is satisfied now so I can eat a little more.  He gave me a pound to play with and so I'm curious to see if i gain it or keep steady.  I am still very careful about eating but have had some desserts.

We are having another dinner party Saturday night for four people.  We're trying to pay back all our invitations and after this one we will have only the Richards.  Our apartment is so open that it would be hard to entertain while a baby sleeps so we want to get rid of all our obligations.

Our radio is just wonderful.  We like it more everyday and are always discovering something new about it.  We know that it has 14 tubes and a 15" speaker when we thought it was just 12 tubes before.  You can imagine how much B enjoys it.

I read that nylons were to be scarce but haven't bought any lately.  Shall I try to get you some?

Hope you're both fine."

            Lots of love,

                     B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  Palestine and the UN are still in the news this week.  Use this link to hear coverage of the partitioning discussion:  http://newstalgia.crooksandliars.com/gordonskene/palestine-december-1947-partition-prim  This is an interesting website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!