Thursday, May 10, 2012

August 4, 1947 Work Interferes, Swanns for Supper, Bonnie's Limited Wardrobe and The Grand Weather

Image courtesy of www.amazon.com
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I expected a letter today but none came.  I hope you aren't still having to spend half your time at Aunt Beatrice's.  Did you ever get any of your canning done?

We haven't done very much this week.  With B in school in the afternoons there isn't much time.  He leaves about 11:30 and doesn't get home till 4:30 or after so it's too late to go to the beach or sight seeing.

1947 Teachers College of CT Yearbook, CCSU Digital Library collection
The Swanns came out for supper Thursday evening and then we looked at the color pictures.  We had a new roll and their cat's picture was in it.  

Saturday morning we got up early and went to New York for the day.  We really saw the sights.  We went over the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn and then on to Coney Island.  It was almost noon when we got back into New York proper so we ate and did a little shopping.  I bought a nightgown and some stockings.  The new fall shades of stockings are real dark.  The ones I got are what we used to call gunmetal.  They are real sheer.  The dresses are all longer too. 

We were standing on a corner waiting to go into a show at Radio City Music Hall when Archie Noe's son walked up and spoke to Gini.  He is in the army and stationed in New Jersey.

The show was long so we didn't get home till late.

Gini plans to start home next Saturday so we'll take her to New York and put her on the Jeffersonian at 6:00.  That will give us another day to see some more things in N.Y.

My wardrobe is quite limited now.  That white dress is the only regular one of my dresses that I can wear now so I've been wearing the others.  I'm saving the black for best but have been wearing the blue one when I go anywhere.  It felt so long at first but now it feels all right.  The green washed real pretty.  I put a shirt tail hem in that sack dress Beulah sent me for my birthday and it just fits.  I'm glad now that I didn't work it over when I first got it.


The weather has been grand but I hear that you have been having it pretty hot.

Hope to hear from you soon and that you are all fine."

                Lots of love,

                       B & Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. Did she know she was pregnant then? Also the comment about not swimming last week suggests she knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She went to the Dr. the day after they got back to CT, July 22, so perhaps that's when it was confirmed.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!