Friday, May 11, 2012

August 19, 1947 Lots of Pep, A Little Painting, Lots of Vegetables, A Little Purse and Frying Pan Fudge

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Your letter came this morning and we're glad to know you've had a little rain and some relief from the heat.  We had three days last week which were bad enough but the temperature wasn't anywhere near as high as you've had it.  We have had a good rain Saturday night and now we're having suit weather.

Karl and Aggie have gone to Wisconsin to visit his people so it is pretty quiet around here.  We had them for supper the night before they left and I drove them to the train.  They didn't want to make the trip in the car--thought it would be too hard with the children.

Yearbook 1947, Image courtesy of CCSU Digital Library Collection

I'm feeling fine and these cool days really give me lots of pep.  I never get everything done that I want to.  This morning I did a little painting--a window sill and a bookcase that needed a fresh coat.  I want to paint the trays that Ralph gave me so long ago when I get around to it.   You remember them, don't you?

Yesterday morning we drove out to see a model home that is open for inspection in a new housing development.  They are cute but so tiny and not worth the $10,000. they are selling for.  The finishing is so poor--rough woodwork and cracks between the floor boards.  People were looking though and they will sell everyone of them--a few less than 200 I think. 

In the afternoon we read and B made some fudge--the first candy we've made since rationing ended. I picked out some of the nuts Beulah gave me and it was real good.

The Richards have been keeping us in vegetables--beets, corn, onions, lettuce, squash, chard, carrots, cucumbers and there will be others later when they ripen.  I made (canned) 2 pints of beet pickles and am going to make some more out of the last beets he gave us.  We can't eat all the stuff now so I'll just can the extra.

So far, I'm making out fine with my clothes.  Aggie gave me a bemberg and a navy crepe dress and 2 everyday slips which all help.  She and her sisters keep their maternity clothes together and we went through them and took out what I could wear.  There must have been a dozen dresses but only two fit.  The navy is old and mended but looks nice and will come in handy.  The bemberg is pale pink and very comfortable.

I'm so sorry you still have to stay in the country so much.  Is Aunt Beatrice still afraid?  Did you ever ask Dana if she would go?

I had a letter from Beulah last week and will try to answer it soon.  Did you see the pictures?

The purse I got in N.Y. is black leather--rather small but nice.  I had looked and looked for one and just happened to run on to a little shop.  I could have gotten you one too but I was so tired.  I didn't even think of it.  Maybe I can get you one the next time we go but no telling when that will be.

Take care of yourselves and write again soon."

                Lots of love,

                          B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!