Wednesday, April 25, 2012

October 30, 1946 Killed Some Time, Sew Sew, Laundry is Fun and The Nylons

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This week has gone by so fast I hardly know where it has gone.  Saturday was Teachers Convention so we spent the whole day in Hartford.  After we got there early in the morning we found out that we really didn't need to go till afternoon so we went down town and bought a shower curtain and just killed time.  B had to grade papers Sunday and then they put up storm windows so we didn't get out till late evening and then we went for a short ride.  These backroads are all new to us and the country is beautiful.

They finally finished sanding the floors but they still need more wax.  The floors are fir wood so they were hard to sand since they're so soft and it took longer than was expected.  They look so much better than they did.

We had our rug delivered yesterday but haven't even unrolled it.  I started the slipcover on Monday and expected to finish it that day and planned yesterday for the drapes but the slipcover took until noon today so I'm making the drapes this afternoon.  We hope to put the rug down tonight.  I can hardly wait to see how it looks.  The slipcover looks like a professional job even if it did take so long.  Since I've sewed all week the apartment is good and dirty and I have an ironing to do.  Now I wonder how I went to school and did all the other things.  I guess I just didn't look at the dirt.  I use Mrs. Hess's washing machine which is a new Hotpoint.  It is actually fun to wash my own things for a change.  We still send B's shirts to the laundry but I want to do the rest. 

We have been having the most wonderful weather.  It is warm and breezy.  The leaves are almost gone so I guess it won't last long.

I bought nylons for you Saturday and will try to get them mailed soon.  They were $1.40 each but just send $2.50 and that will take care of the postage on those curtains.

We plan to take a colored picture of Dr. Richard's old house when they get it painted and cleaned up.  B took some black and white ones for him and he was thrilled to death.

B is on his way to Middletown and I want him to mail this so bye for now."

                        Lots of love,

                                 B & Bonnie


NOTES from Ann:   On Oct. 30, 1946, RCA introduced its first color TV.  See image below.  It was  several years before B & Bonnie begin searching for a television, but I'm certain it was nothing like the sewing machine hunt.

Image courtesy of www.antiqueradio.com
And in the news:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!