Wednesday, April 25, 2012

October 23, 1946 The Dirt and Racket, Easy and Smooth Sewing, The Graduation, Bernadine's Boys and The Gift of Lard

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This house is certainly in a turmoil.  The floors are being sanded and a new furnace is being installed.  You can imagine the dirt and racket.  B and I painted the walls and ceiling in the living room and it should look pretty nice when the floor is finished.  The walls are cream and our rug is beige.

It was nice having two letters this week.  They both came Saturday.  The graduation exercises were real nice.  I saw lots of my friends from New Haven and the luncheon was extra good.  Since there is no meat, and hasn't been for weeks, we had turkey.  Sully was there but Bea couldn't come because they couldn't get her a ticket.  I was sorry I hadn't known it because I got two tickets for my guests since I was graduating but sent them back.


There is a teachers meeting Friday and if B and Sully go to Hartford we girls may go too and spend the day together.

Tonight is a reception at the college for all faculty members.  We will have to go.  I told you we were going to Dr. Richards last Sunday.  After we had our coffee and ice cream they showed us all over their house.  It is furnished with antiques and is just like a museum.  It just looked like something out of a magazine, but I wouldn't want it.

I finally have some curtains up in the pantry and kitchen.  I used that little curtain you sent for the pantry by cutting it shorter and got white dotted swiss for the kitchen.  They are made like your kitchen curtains.  I wanted something with some color in it but certain material is like everything else.

The machine sure is wonderful.  It sews so easy and smooth.  You won't have any trouble learning to use it.  It threads harder than most machines but once you learn how it is simple.  It sews backwards by just moving a little lever and has a knee control.  I finally got around to looking at the attachments and they are the usual ones--hemmers, gatherers, etc.

I had a nice letter from Beulah last week and then a card after she got the package.  If we ever get settled we will make the pictures of the kids.  I would love to see both of them.  I have the yarn and directions for Jerry's leggings but need some help with the directions so will have to wait till I go to McLeods.

Bernadine finally got a boy.  I'm awfully glad.  Do you remember how she used to say she wanted five boys so she could bring them to my house to walk on my furniture.  She has a long way to go--both to my house and to five boys.  Ha! 

I'm so glad Junior is going to school.  I hope he keeps on for the four years.

Yes, I've worn my velvet suit both to the club and under my cap and gown.  You'll get to see it Christmas if the snow isn't too deep.  That isn't long off when you think about it.

Thanks for sending the Journals.  I subscribed to the Readers Digest too.

Food prices are awful--eggs .75, butter about .80 and no meat, lard, or oleo.  Mrs. McLeod gave me some lard and we would have been out of luck if she hadn't.

Write soon and I hope you're all fine."

                            Lots of love,

                                      B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  While we're not surprised to see that Bonnie's diploma had to be forwarded three times before it reached her, it is amazing that the Post Office managed to get it delivered in only 4 days. 





Bonnie enjoyed the music chosen for her graduation.  To hear Mahalia Jackson, a favorite of Bonnie's, singing "There is a Balm in Gilead", use the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMY4V7RdbU

And for Truman's address at the opening of the UN General Assembly on Oct. 23, 1946:

 http://trumanlibrary.org/calendar/viewpapers.php?pid=914

Also of note:

Source:  http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/761870?uid=3739744&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=47698900911587

Clipping from Time, Oct. 21, 1946

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!