Tuesday, April 3, 2012

November 3, 1945 Student Teaching Begins, Halloween, Eggs for Currency and Applying For Nylons


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It looks like it was going to start pouring rain.  We have had a real nice week of sunny, warm weather.  This week has been busy.  My student teaching period began Monday.  I don't have to actually teach for about three weeks yet but there are lots of other things to do.  Wednesday was Halloween so the school used the whole afternoon for a party.  This is supposed to work off all the mischief so that kids won't go carousing at night.  All the kids came to school in the afternoon all dressed up in costumes.  There were certainly some funny ones.  They all had so much fun that I wished I had dressed up. The whole school paraded around the block and then did stunts on the playground.  Then everyone went to his own room and every room had a party.  We had all kinds of goodies to eat but I was exhausted at the end of the day.

I may have had too much party but my throat had me down again the next day.  I'm just about all right again.  I was supposed to have the Dames last night but told them not to come.  Most of them have never been here since we moved and I knew they would want to see the whole house.  I didn't feel like cleaning so they went to Hal's instead.  We are getting ready to open what is called our social season.  Last night we were to write invitations to the new girls.  There are about 100 new ones but we don't know how many will want to come.  I'm just glad I don't have to make that welcome speech again this year.

B had to keep study hall this morning.  They have a Saturday study period at Hopkins for the boys who get behind with their work.

I could hardly keep from crying when I read that Beulah is sick.  I am not surprised for I was afraid that would happen.   Last summer I asked her to go to Springfield for an examination so she would know whether she was all right or not. Try to get her to go to Springfield to someone who knows what it's all about.  Dr. Johnson or Dr. James are the best.  She could be examined and then if the case is diagnosed the same she could have her treatments from the Crocker Dr.  They might be able to tell her whether the burning would help without her having to go through all that misery.  Mrs. Sellars could probably give you the Drs. first names and addresses or you could write to Arlie.  They both practice at St. John's Hospital.  I do wish she would go.  It might save her a lot of pain and money and the rest of us a lot of worry.  I'm sorry they didn't get to move.  I was wondering yesterday if they had.

I have another Journal to send you and we got an extra Fortune this month so we'll send that.  I know you'd like to see one.

The eggs arrived in perfect shape and the case is on its way back home.  Are you sure you haven't got a few ducks lately?  Ha!  Some of the eggs were so big they are almost like duck eggs.  The three cases of eggs and the postage you spent on them have been $6.00, $5.19 and $6.40.  That totals $17.59 so we'll just say the yarn is paid for completely.  I'll probably not get much done on mine till next summer.

We drove out to see the ships last Sunday and intended to go through them but there wasn't even a place to park or a chance to get near so we just looked from the car and went on.

The new Chevrolets don't look much different from the last models.

No, there haven't been any nylons on the market yet.  Gimbels in New York was supposed to have them soon but they could be bought by filing an application only.  I meant to send one in but fooled around and didn't. Things are getting more plentiful it seems.

Well, write soon."

                                Lots of love,

                                         B & Bonnie



Gimbels, NYC (www.departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!