Wednesday, April 4, 2012

November 17, 1945 The Dames Can Party, The Crazy Little Brown Hat, The Finished Afghan,Wanting a Sewing Machine and Bonnie's Party Cake

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It has seemed so long since we had a letter from you but your letter came this morning.  It has been awfully cold and windy but the sun shines and the days are beautiful.

The Dames party was Wednesday night.  It was a huge success.  We had about 60 people.  We had a cake made by a bakery and then had coffee, nuts and mints.  The cake was a round, three layer--two chocolate and one white layer.  It was iced with pale green icing and had grated chocolate sprinkled over it.  It cost $7.50 so you can imagine how big it was.  It was a lovely party and everyone seemed to have a good time.  It was a get-acquainted party mostly so we didn't have much of a program.  A girl from the music school sang some songs.

Thursday night was the Hopkins dinner but I had already missed one music class when I was sick so I decided I better not skip another.  B went to the dinner by himself and had a good time talking to the parents.  I really don't think they missed me because 250 went.  They had a big turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

I bought a new hat for the Dames party.  It is brown and has a high crown.  It fits close to the head and is real warm but you would have to see it to appreciate it for it is a little crazy.  I finally got that blue wool dress finished--the one I made at home.  I wore it Wednesday night.  It looked real nice but I believe I have gained a little weight because it fits pretty tight.

It is beginning to look as if we won't go to Alabama for Christmas.  We have decided we better not try to come home either because our vacations don't come at the same time and there wouldn't be time enough to come home.  Horace is in the hospital again and they have been taking x-rays to see if they can discover the trouble.  There is a possibility that he may be discharged or may be sent to another hospital.  There is no way he can know so we may not know till the last minute whether we will go or not.  It would be a disappointment but it would be good for him to be out of the army, too.

Today is Charlotte's fourth birthday.  (I just discovered that today is the 17th.)  She'll soon be four anyway.  Hasn't the time flown?  I sent her a package but since they have moved I don't know whether she will get it or not.  If she hasn't by the time you get this, ask about it at the post office.  It was addressed to her.

You should have your afghan by now.  I didn't block it but I didn't think there was much use.  If any blocks look puffy they will flatten out after you have used it awhile.  I actually miss it.  I had kept it on the couch as I sewed it together and it was awfully handy to throw over my legs if I laid down.  I hope you like it and get lots of good out of it.  Everyone that saw it thought it was pretty.

The completed afghan--much crazier than the brown hat!













We are going to Sully's & Be's this evening and stay till tomorrow afternoon.  They live in Willimantic, Conn., which is about 50 miles from here.  We haven't seen them since they were married and are anxious to see their apartment.  I guess they're as happy as can be.

I guess we'll stay home and eat a chicken for Thanksgiving.  We haven't planned to do anything but will probably go for a ride in the afternoon if it's a nice day.

People here are really beginning their Christmas shopping early.  The stores are all decked out in their Christmas things.  They are always crowded.  There seem to be more things and better things this year.  The dolls are much nicer but they are still too high to buy.

I'm still wanting a sewing machine but I guess I'll wait a while longer.  I went to Singer's yesterday.  They have them (a few at a time) but you have to put your name on a waiting list.  The kind I want is $106. which is too much (a portable).  I had just as soon have a White so I'll wait and see what they will put out.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.  We have plenty to be thankful for this year."

                                       Lots of love,

                                                B & Bonnie

Bonnie's Chocolate Creme de Menthe Cake

Add 3 T creme de menthe as part of the liquid to any white cake recipe.  Bake in a rectangular pan and let cool.  Prepare a fudge sauce of 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 T butter, cooking and stirring constantly until the mixture is very thick and spreadable.  Spread over cake.  Mix 3 T creme de menthe into about 2 cups of whipped cream and spread over fudge topping.  Cut into 15-18 squares and garnish with mint leaves and maraschino cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!