Monday, April 16, 2012

May 18, 1946 Bonnie Wants the Credit, Pretty Sure He'll Graduate, Taking Over the Faculty Lounge, The Disappointing Sermon and Deviled Eggs

Clipping from Time Magazine, May 13, 1946
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This is only Friday but I am going to be gone all day tomorrow so I thought I'd better write tonight.  One of my classes is going on a trip for the whole day.  I'm not anxious to go at all but have to if I want credit for the class.  We are going to visit the institutions over the state where women and boys are kept after committing crimes of some sort.  I don't know what B will do all day without me.  He has so much more time at last.  It is wonderful to know that he can read a magazine without having work on his mind.

The University has started sending out letters about graduation fees and etc.  They are going to wear caps and gowns this year.  That had been discontinued during the war.  I am so thrilled about it.  B will have a gold tassel on his cap.  Of course, we're still not sure he'll graduate but I feel pretty sure.

We have a place to move to now.  We are going to move into an apartment in the main building at Hopkins.  It is on the third floor but is quite large.  The bedroom is tremendous & the living room and dinette are big.  The kitchen is about like a postage stamp but the bath is big.  It has been used by the faculty for the past year as a lounge and needs painting & papering.  They are going to fix them up for us and the rent will be practically nothing if anything at all.



The tea last Sunday was very nice.  There was a big crowd there.  There were four of us who served as hostesses and she had two maids in the kitchen.  It was really a supper--tea wasn't even served.  She had tuna sandwiches (little ones), deviled eggs, olives, creamed tuna, hot biscuits, ice cream and cakes & coffee.  Everyone just talked and ate--that was all.

We have started going to church once more.  Last Sunday was the first time I had been in a long time and the sermon wasn't good at all.  I was so disappointed.

How is everyone?  I guess that baby is waiting for me to finish knitting its sweater.  Ha!  It's just about finished.

This hasn't been a very nice week.  It has rained almost every day--has been just pouring tonight.

It's about bedtime so be good and take care of yourselves."

                         Lots of love,

                                B & Bonnie

NOTE:  This post has been updated to include the above photo, taken during my recent visit (Oct. 2012) and is the building at Hopkins where B & Bonnie had the 3rd floor apartment.

Deviled Eggs

Hard boil 1 egg per person being served.  Cool completely, peel and slice in half.  Remove yolks.
Press yolks through a fine sieve and add salt and pepper.  Add finely minced red onion, mustard, relish juice, mayonnaise and a little horseradish if desired.  Taste and adjust seasoning.  Mix until creamy and pipe into egg halves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!