Wednesday, April 18, 2012

June 15, 1946 B in the Evening, The Typical Graduation Week,The Draft Call, The Piggish People and Don't Mail Chickens

Hopkins' 286th Graduation
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"School is all out for me.  I got all A's in my regular classes and B's in the evening classes.  I always feel glad to get a B in the evening school because the teachers never know you and that makes a lot of difference.  This whole week has been a typical graduation week here at Hopkins.  The seniors have had dinners and lots of things.  I went to the graduation exercises yesterday afternoon and it was really very nice.  All classes are over but there is still a faculty meeting Monday and then Dr. Lovell is giving a dinner to all of us at noon Monday.  In the afternoon we are driving to Miss Barton's place (she is head of Junior School) in New Milford for a picnic supper.  New Milford is in the northern part of the state and quite a place.  Lots of famous people have homes there--Lily Pons, Stakowski, and some others.

My summer school begins July 1 and ends August 9 which is sooner than we thought.  I have to take only 6 points (three classes) and I'll be all through.

Yes, we know about the draft call.  It sort of knocked me for a loop because I supposed he wouldn't be called again.  B had said all the time that one wouldn't surprise him and he wasn't at all surprised.  We hope that he won't have to be examined before my work is finished.  If it comes before July 1 we will probably come on home and he'll be examined there, but if my school has already started he'll have it transferred here so I can try and finish.  We just hope there will be time.  Actually, we cannot complain for the fighting is over and his work at Yale is finished.  He told Dr. Lovell and I think he was as much concerned about it as we were.  If B is drafted I suppose I'll take a job of some kind because I could barely pay my rent with $50. no matter where we are.

We still haven't any official (on paper) confirmation of the Ph.D.  However, Dr. Hill told B this week that everything was fixed for him and that he is the only one from the Education Department to get through.

Beulah seems to be much better than she was when Charlotte came.  I guess she's happy to be home.  I do hope the baby won't cry as much as Charlotte did.  I will never forget her crying.  The name suits me fine.  It's real pretty.

I looked at the machines last Saturday but the cheapest one I saw was $95.  Would you give that?  It was a White.

We got some beef yesterday and manage to have bread all the time and oleo most of the time.  If people weren't so piggish there would be more for everyone.  There is lots of food of all kinds and I think it's terrible for people to complain so much when there is so much.  Don't try to send chickens to us.  We'll fill up on them when we get home.

B is tutoring some boys for a short while.  Maybe I told you this.  He gets $2.00 an hour which comes in handy.

Dorothy Rae's wedding is Monday.  We would love to be there.  We sent them some Fostoria and hope it gets there on time.

Tomorrow is Dad's day.  I hope it will be a nice one for you both.  A little package is on its way Daddy, but will probably be late.  We send you lots and lots of love too.  Be good and take good care of Beulah."

                       Lots of love,

                              B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  Below is a great cover story of the Saturday Evening Post, June 15, 1946.  Pictured is part of a 6th grade class from Bedford Elementary School in Westport, Connecticut.  The class had 35 students but not all could be in the picture.  However, every child in the class was given a pound of candy by the artist.  The class had been collecting clothes for homeless children in Holland and with their shipment, they included 11 pounds of candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!