Friday, April 20, 2012

July 6, 1946 Pump Trouble, Congress Needs a Good Shaking, The Draft and Chicken Salad



Dear Mother & Daddy,    

"We've had pump trouble too.  It seems strange that in a city like this the school would have its own water supply, but it does.  There is a deep well and an electric pump.  It was haywire for several days but they finally got it fixed.  Luckily it worked part of the time everyday so we got along all right.


The weather has really been nice so far.  It is just about right for me although some people think it's pretty hot.  We had showers this morning and are supposed to have more tomorrow.  We hope not because we're going on a picnic with Sully and Bea.  We haven't seen them since before Christmas so we're going to get together tomorrow.  Just where we'll go we don't know but we're taking our lunch and just going.  We go just like you and Daddy do--start and end up no telling where.  It doesn't take long to get out of Conn. so we'll probably go to Rhode Island or New York state.


Syrup seems to be scarce here too.  We'll watch for it though and get some if we can.  We got some oleo this morning.  The papers say that stores downtown are getting 1.50 for butter.  They can just keep it as far as I'm concerned.

Prices are climbing since the OPA died and especially rent.  Congress certainly needs a good shaking.  It certainly makes me mad the way they dilly dally about such things when every minute means our dollar is worth less and less.

School is awfully boring to me.  I am so anxious to get through but I just have to make myself study.  No, I don't have afternoon classes.  They are from 9:25 - 12:05 but I have to study all afternoon for the next day so it's all the same in the end.  I didn't expect to have to study so much and thought I'd have time to sew or work on my afghan but I see now that I won't so I put my afghan away.

B was really pleased with the money but we both felt that you shouldn't have sent it.  I didn't even buy him anything.  No doubt it will go for photographic equipment of some kind.  Thanks a lot.  If I don't forget I'll send you one of the pictures. He forgot to put one in his mother's letter but he has one for her too.

We don't know what we'll do about moving.  We aren't worrying about it.  We don't think much about the draft anymore.  Of course, it's always in the back of our minds but we're going to plan things just like there wasn't such a thing as the draft so you stop worrying about it too.

School is out August 9th so we will probably start home some time the next week.  It will take us about three days to drive it which is much longer than by train.  That's because we can't drive all night or as fast as the train.


We had a real nice time at Hill's.  She had a cold supper of chicken salad, cottage cheese, peas, potato chips, ice cream and angel food cake.  We were the only guests.  Their son and his wife were there.  He has been in the army and is our age.

I am having the Journal sent to you since I don't know what our address will be.  Then you can send it to me after we get moved.  I never did get the last one.  I guess it went to our old address.

Write soon."

                      Lots of love,

                            B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  For an interesting article about government regulations and the OPA use the link:  http://www.thefreemanonline.org/columns/the-1946-voter-revolt-against-government-regulation/


Bonnie's Chicken Salad

Boil a fryer, cool, bone and chop white meat into 1" pieces.   Save the dark meat for another purpose. 

Combine 1 c. sliced green grapes, 1 c. pineapple chunks, 1/2 c. toasted slivered almonds, 1/2 c. sliced water chestnuts and 1/2 c. sliced celery.  Prepare a dressing of Miracle Whip, sugar, salt and pepper and use only enough to bind ingredients. Refrigerate overnight to blend flavors. Serve on Boston bibb lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!