Sunday, April 8, 2012

January 12, 1946 Gloomy and Fine, The Lucky Butter, Sewing Machines and Corn Bread

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We are both just fine this gloomy morning.  It is really gloomy but warm.  The last few days have been like early spring days.  I wish it would stay this way the rest of the winter because it is so easy on our coal bin.  The prediction is for colder weather, though, so I guess we will still have plenty of cold and snow.

I finally got around to going to a Dames meeting last week.  We had a Chinese Auction and lots of fun.  The girls each bring two or three things that someone else might use and they are auctioned off.  I took a quart of peaches and a pint of molasses.  You know B's dad sent us a gallon of Floyd Arnold's.  It sold for .40 to a Texas girl who said she really knew what it was.  Most of the girls didn't know what sorghum is.

I expect Horace is in Richland by now.  We had a letter this week and they were expecting to leave Anniston about last Wednesday.  He doesn't know what he will do or what he can do.  The army never did help his back.

I guess I have about 1/3 of my afghan done.  It won't be nearly as large as yours because I'm running out of yarn and would never be able to match it so I'm having to make it smaller than the directions.  I bought what the directions said but it isn't enough.  The background is tan and then there is a pattern cross-stitched over this.  It really will be lovely when it's finished.  B says he is going to take it for the car but I think I'll have something to say about that.

I haven't found any dress material yet, but I haven't really looked.  I did buy something for you though--a pair of nylons.  They aren't as nice as the ones I got for Xmas but I had no choice.  They are 10's and were $1.20.  I'll try to mail them today.

I never did ask about White sewing machines.  I don't know whether they make portables or not.  Do you plan to buy a machine when they are available?

We still can get all the meat we want and have gotten butter when we wanted it.  I guess the butter business was just luck because they say it is practically non-existent.  We use quite a bit because we have hot bread pretty often.  Last night we had corn bread and it was so good.  We still don't need eggs.  We have a back hall that is not heated and there is a big old ice box out there.  I put the eggs in it and they keep fine.

I'm glad you warned me about selling the place but hadn't you better wait till we can come home to help move?  Do you have any place in mind that you might buy?  Be sure that it has a big attic.  Ha!

Mother, a little bird told me you had been to the doctor.  Why did you go and what did he tell you?  Between you and Beulah just half telling me things about yourselves you keep me in a dither.

It's about lunch time so write me all the news."

                                      Lots of love,

                                               B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  About the White Sewing Machine:

"During the Second World War, the company ceased producing sewing machines in favour of manufacturing more badly needed material for the war effort. White was given the Army and Navy "E" award in recognition for its effort.

After the war, there was a severe shortage of sewing machines in the United States. Seizing the initiative, the company expanded its plant and capacity to manufacture machines. The company also introduced a number of new models including an automatic zig-zag machine based on German designs."    Source:  http://www.ismacs.net/white/white.html
 (The postcard image above is from our collection.)

And about the E Award:  "The E-award was the Army-Navy Award for Excellence in War Production. An E-award was awarded to a company and its employees for excellence, like if they produced a large number of war materials or filled their order in a short amount of time. They were most commonly given in the form of a pin with a card certifying their contribution to the war effort with a message from the president. Certificates were also given to individuals and flags were given to the company. Employees were very proud of their E-awards and it represented a great honor to the company and its employees."  Source:  http://www.nps.gov/pwro/collection/website/award.htm


Bacon Corn Bread

Mix together 2 c. yellow cornmeal, 2 c. flour, 2 T baking powder and 1-1/2 tsp. salt.  Mix 2 eggs, 2-1/2 c. milk, 1/2 c. melted butter and crisp fried bacon, crumbled to equal 1/2 cup.  Combine all and mix well.  Spread in greased 9x13 pan and bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes.  



  






No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!