Tuesday, April 10, 2012

February 16, 1946 No News, Sorta Cold, No Coal, The Sewing Machine Saga and Feeding B


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I've been sitting here trying to think of something to write.  There just isn't any news. We have spent the week working on B's thesis.  I've been using a typewriter from Hopkins that does a much better job than ours.  The time is getting awfully short but B still thinks he can get it in by the first.

It is sorta cold today but the sun is bright.  We have had a few warm days (it was 60 in New York day before yesterday) but the wind came up yesterday and blew a regular gale.  It is bad when the wind gets strong because there is so much sand to be blown around.


We still don't have coal but we have managed real well.  It is plenty warm but a little inconvenient.  B is going down to talk to the man this morning.  We can't figure out why he should be out of coal when there seems to be plenty.  The N.Y. strike didn't seem to affect New Haven because most of the fuel comes in by rail.

No, we aren't tired of scrambled eggs.  The cracked ones have kept fine in the ice box but I think there's only one of them left.  I'll keep looking for your dress material and stockings.  Maybe I'll find them sometime.

Three sacks will be enough for a housecoat, I think.  That is what I used last time.

We haven't any idea when we will be home next summer.  I am planning to go to summer school which lasts till the middle of August.  If I do that I can graduate and have my degree, then if I want to teach in the fall I can.  Of course, the main thing is getting B's work finished.  It may be that he will have to work on it this summer but we hope by the time we come home he will have his Ph.D. and a good job waiting.  At least we can hope for that. 

Have you placed your order for a sewing machine?  I hope you do get one by next summer.  I asked about White portables the other day.  They make one but it is $104. and weighs 26 lbs.  For two dollars more I'd rather have the light weight Singer.  It weighs only 9 pounds and is such a neat little machine.  The first $106. I find rolling up hill I'm going to buy one.  That will probably be a long time off, though.


We still have lots of fruit.  We've eaten a lot too, but we still have lots.

It is getting close to lunch time and B will be coming in half starved.  He gets such good dinners at Hopkins every day that I have a time feeding him week-ends."

                              Lots of love,

                                        B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  Rather than addressing a specific topic, Truman's address of Feb. 15, 1946 was an opportunity for questions.  When asked if he had an opinion on when the steel strike would be resolved, he answered simply, "No, I have not."  To see the transcript, use this link:
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=12582#axzz1renb8m56

For an interesting look at the "strike wave" of 1946: http://www.economicpopulist.org/content/great-strike-wave-1946

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!