Thursday, April 5, 2012

December 8, 1945 Bonnie Might Be Lazy, Christmas Indecision, Will Santa Make It and Christmas Cheesecake

Esquire Magazine, Dec. 1945
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"My student teaching is finished for this semester and I'm really glad.  It was so much work and there wasn't time for anything else.  My supervisor wrote a good report on my teaching and I was well pleased.

B is at school again this morning keeping a study hall.  I don't much like Saturday study halls because we can't sleep late.  Maybe I'm lazy.

Yesterday I had a long letter from Beulah.  I'm awfully glad they like their place so well.  Tell her I'll try to answer it soon.  I wrote to Francis Jr. this week.  I guess he will get it eventually because I sent it to the address you sent me a long time ago. You can't send a package of any kind overseas without a request from the sailor so I asked him if there wasn't something he would like me to send.  He probably won't have much Christmas unless Buddy & Bessie sent something before Oct. 15.

We got a letter from Mabel and Horace yesterday.  They are going to be in Alabama for Christmas after all.  Now that we had planned to do so much work during vacation I don't know whether we will go or not.  They will be awfully disappointed but we haven't decided yet.

The Xmas rush has started.  The Hopkins Christmas dinner is next Saturday and there is a tea next Sunday in the education department.  We plan to go to both places if nothing happens.  I haven't had any time hardly to shop so I'm beginning to wonder if Santa will make it in time.  Today is such a nice day I plan to shop this afternoon.  It is so good to see the sun after so much snow and rain.

I thought Ray had enlisted for 3 more years.  I guess things are beginning to seem like old times with the boys coming home.  Are Paul and his wife living in Richland?

I have started my afghan.  I have only a little bit done but it's going to be pretty and I believe it will work up pretty fast.  Now that I have finished my teaching I should have a little more time to do things I want to do.

B broke his newest glasses the other day but Dr. Lovell made an appointment for him with a doctor and he has a new pair already.  They are exactly like the old ones.  The Dr. told him that his bad eye could not be used with the good one but if anything ever happened to his good eye a lens could be fitted to that other eye and he could use it.  We were awfully happy about it because Dr. Cheek always said that eye was no good.



I hope everyone is fine."

                            Lots of love,

                                     B & Bonnie

NOTE:   This post has been updated to include the portrait of Dr. George Lovell,  taken during a recent visit to Hopkins, Oct., 2012. 

Bonnie's Quick Cherry Cheesecake Dessert

Make a crust with 1/2 lb. graham cracker crumbs, 1 stick melted oleo and 1/4 c. powdered sugar.
Spread in 9" square pan.  Chill.  Beat until smooth, 8 oz. cream cheese, 1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk and 1/3 c. lemon juice.  Fold in 2 c. whipped cream.  Spread over crust.  Carefully spread on 1 can cherry pie filling.  (First piece is hard to get out.)

White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake

Beat till creamy 2 lb. cream cheese, 1 c. sugar and 4 eggs, added one at a time, beaten until fluffy.  Add 1 tsp. vanilla and 8 oz. melted white chocolate.  Pour in ungreased spring form pan.  Bake in water bath at 250.  Chill overnight in refrigerator and turn out.  Prepare raspberry sauce.  Mix together 1-1/2 c. raspberries, 1 tsp. honey and 1 tsp. vanilla.  Sweeten to taste and pour over cheesecake.



 


2 comments:

  1. I really love the way your mother writes; what a treasure it is for you to have all these letters and it's also a delight that you've shared them with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the letters and I appreciate your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!