Friday, March 30, 2012

September 8, 1945 The New Place, BIG, Eggs for Yarn, Mayonnaise and All About Jello

Peach Pie recipe using jello

 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We're all settled down now and are enjoying our new place so much.  We got a truck to bring out the desk and all the heavy stuff and we moved the rest.  We have entirely too much stuff for people who will have to move again next year.  Ha!  It took us all Saturday afternoon and part of Sunday morning to move everything.  Then I cleaned the apartment we were leaving.   I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't known the girl that was moving in.  By Wednesday we were all unpacked and I had cleaned house.  It is simply wonderful to have so much room.  In the hallway is a highboy, a gate-leg table and an old fashioned coat rack.  In the living room there's the piano, living room suite, big chair and ottoman, end table, bookcase and our radio table and lamp.  There's a double door into the dining room, which is big.  We have our desk in here and the dining room outfit is big.  It has a big table, 6 chairs, buffet and china cabinet.  My dishes sure look nice in the china cabinet.  The suite is solid mahogany and one of the nicest ones I ever saw.  There's a built-in china cabinet and a fireplace that doesn't work but looks nice.  In the bedroom is a mahogany Jenny Lind bed, dresser, chair and table and two closets (one immense one and one average size).  The bath is big but old.  The kitchen is big too and has a maple breakfast set, a combination range, refrigerator (Electric) utility cabinet, and an old fashioned wash stand.  Off the kitchen is a big pantry full of shelves for everything.  The sink is here and keeps all messy work out of the kitchen.  The house is old but is well-kept and certainly liveable.  We have a basement and backyard which needs mowing.  Maybe some of these days we can send you some pictures of the house.

We are mailing your watch today.  It runs fine but if anything goes wrong send it back with the guarantee.  I'll try to remember to put it in this letter.  The pictures are for Beulah.  We thought we'd send just one package. She'll be expecting them to come to her so tell her about it, will you?  You pick out what you want and we'll make them for you.

Our freight was fine.  We had one piece broken--one of my small mixer bowls--but I got one to replace it.  We've already used two quarts of peaches and I've really made use of my mixer.  Today I made a cake and a peach pie.  I made mayonnaise this week and it turned out fine.  We still can't get that but we do get soap.

The weather here has been so cool that I've been wearing stockings but it's warmed up again.

You asked what we did Labor Day--we labored.  We were unpacking but did go for a drive late in the afternoon.  The traffic was terribly heavy and so many cars had flats.

The yarn is just fine and I've really been making it fly.  I ordered more yarn than I think I'll need so I'll wait until I have finished yours to figure up how much it will cost.  It came in bigger sheaves than I planned for so I didn't get such a big selection of colors.  It is going to be real pretty though.  If it's all right with you we'll let eggs pay for the yarn.  That would be the easiest way.

What kind of trailer is Daddy making?  Pat him on the back for making a new cellar door.

I haven't done much shopping since V-J Day so I don't know whether goods are more plentiful or not.  It's probably a little too soon.

School starts Wednesday but I haven't been over to make out my schedule yet.  I'm putting if off as long as I can.

I think I told about enough, so write soon."

                            Lots of love,

                                   B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  Regarding the pie recipe,  family members know that Bonnie could have written a book on 1000 creative uses for Jello, and I don't know the origin of this recipe.   I don't recall ever having had peach jello (or this peach pie) and was curious about when the flavor was introduced since it wasn't one of the original 4 flavors.  I contacted the nice people at Jello.  Just for fun, see the email reply that I received. 


Peach was introduced in 1907 and continued for several years.  Then it was introduced recently.  Our source of information is Carolyn Wyman's book, Jell-O a Biography.

If you're interested:   http://www.jellogallery.org/jellohistory.html

Mayonnaise and Cooked Mayonnaise (The New Hood Cookbook, 1939)

Mix together well, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, dash of paprika and a dash of dry mustard.  Add 3 beaten egg yolks and beat well.  Add 3 T vinegar or lemon juice and beat again.  Add 2 c. salad oil, 
drop by drop, beating constantly.  The mixture should grow thick and creamy.  Continue until all oil is used.  Keep in a cool, but not freezing place.  If the mixture curdles beat another yolk slightly, add a little oil and when blended add the curdled dressing, a small amount at a time, beating until the curdle disappears.  Then add remaining oil.

For cooked mayonnaise:  Mix together 1/2 c. cream, yolks of 3 eggs, beaten, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. mustard, 3-1/2 T whine wine vinegar and 1/2 tsp. pepper.  Cook over hot water until slightly thickened, stirring constantly; cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!