Friday, March 23, 2012

May 19, 1945 The Roses, The Woodwork, John Hersey and The Pumpkin Chiffon Pie



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I wish I could see the rose bushes and have some bouquets.  We have had nothing but rain all week.  It has been just pouring today even if the weatherman did say fair and warm.

I hope Grandma is better.  I wrote her a letter the other day.  Does Mrs. Deberry have anyone living with her?  Poor old thing.  She is getting pretty old, isn't she?

Did the picture frame get there without breaking and could you get it together?  I wanted to send it all fixed up but knew if the glass broke it would ruin the picture.


You leave that woodwork alone!  I don't want you to be sick if we get to come home this summer.  Besides it probably even isn't dirty.  The woodwork in our apartment is really dirty but it isn't going to bother me any.


I'd like to have a dish of your ice cream.  I can't make it because we just have an ice box.  I cooked rhubarb with syrup and it works just as well as sugar.  Yesterday I made a real good pumpkin chiffon pie.  I used a graham cracker crust and all the filling is made with gelatin and doesn't have to be baked.

B has only two more weeks to teach and then he can really put in his time on the dissertation.  If we can only get it finished by June 30 we'll be satisfied.  We should know by the end of the month whether B will be teaching at Hopkins next year.  I'll be glad when it is settled so we can make plans for next year.


 Thursday afternoon we went to hear John Hersey talk about the Russian people.  He wrote "Bell for Adano" and has been in Russia for 8 months.  He is an editor for Life and graduated from Yale in 1936.  He is only about 31 years old but is certainly sympathetic with the Russians.  I wish you could have heard him.  If you haven't read "Bell for Adano" I hope you will.

Dr. Hill is going to deliver the commencement address at Springfield Teacher's College next week.

I hope you both are fine.  Take care of yourselves."

                           Lots of love,

                                      B & Bonnie



Pumpkin Chiffon Pie  (New Hood Cookbook, 1939)

Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.  Add 3 beaten egg yolks and mix well.  Stir in 1-1/4 cups strained pumpkin, 1/2 cup milk and heat over hot water 15 minutes.  Soften 1 tablespoon gelatin in 1 cup cold water and then stir into hot pumpkin mixture.  Cool and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.  Turn into crumb shell and chill until firm.  Top with whipped cream, sweetened and flavored with ginger.

NOTE: For more on Bell for Adano see this letter.  http://annbkennedy.blogspot.com/2012/03/november-11-1944-bell-for-adano.html

5 comments:

  1. Haven't been by for a while; busy learning about God after a miraculous event in July 2014. Confusion doesn't even cover it, but that's for another time.
    I hadn't realised how much I missed your history postings, truly inspiring at times. Your format of these letters coupled with the ads from the time is inspiring. Well done you Ann Kennedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, windmill! I'm pleased that you find the letters and ads inspiring and my mom would be thrilled to know that you enjoy the letters. Thank you for the kind comments and for taking the time to write.

      Delete
  2. You may have known of this guy too.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/28/nyregion/fe-toscani-89-dies-model-for-hero-of-bell-for-adano.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing the link for this interesting article. I haven't read the book, but now having read the article, I'm intrigued. I hope other readers will note the article as well now. It's a great addition to the post. Thanks again!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!