Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 31, 1945 The Handsewn Dress is Done, Dust in the Sunshine and Thanks for the Meat


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We're having beautiful weather, too.  It rained some this morning but the sun has come out now.  I hope tomorrow is bright and sunny because we want to take some pictures.  Next Sunday we're invited to the Schericks for dinner.  They have a baby and we're going to take picture for them in the afternoon.  They are from Utah and he is a minister.

The ham is really good.  You certainly got a good "do" on it.  It's salted just right and is certainly tender.  We had ham, biscuits, gravy and apple pie for dinner today and we all ate till we felt miserable.  Sully really liked it.  It was the first cured meat he ever ate.


Thanks for the sacks.  They are really nice and I'm going to make a dress out of them.  I finally got my (blue) dress finished and am going to wear it tomorrow.  It looks really nice.  I gave up looking for a navy dress.  I need a good dress but I'll wait until I find something I like real well or until I get to go to New York again.  B & I may go down later this spring.

School goes on as usual.  B still reads and reads.  The people at Yale seem to feel that it would be good for him to stay at Hopkins next year and get more experience before trying to get into a college.  I think they believe he's too young because one of the teachers kept telling him he was so young and how good it would be to be around Yale.  So B is going to talk to the headmaster at Hopkins next week.  It looks very much like we may stay here another year.

House cleaning doesn't bother me.  It's just when the sun shines real bright that my conscience begins to bother me when the dust shows.

B bought me a nice pair of stockings for Easter and I got him a box of candy.  He has to go down town and is ready to leave so I'd better let him mail this.

Thanks again for the meat.  It really was nice of you and I guess we'll both get so fat we can't walk.  Write soon and have a nice Easter."

                                   Lots of love,

                                               B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  Use the links below for information about the capture of Iwo Jima.  By the last week in March, 1945, all resistance had ended.  

Life Magazine, March, 1945
//www.defense.gov/home/features/iwo_jima/iwo.html

http://www.davidstuff.com/historical/iwojima.htm


The Battle For Iwo Jima

February 19, 1945 - March 26, 1945



"The battle of Iwo Island has been won. The United States Marines by their individual and collective courage have conquered a base which is as necessary to us in our continuing forward movement toward final victory as it was vital to the enemy in staving off ultimate defeat. By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the American who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
--Admiral Chester W. Nimitz 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!