Monday, March 19, 2012

March 24, 1945 The Straw Hat in the Snow, Meat is Scarce and B Considers Hopkins


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have been having beautiful spring weather except last Thursday and it did everything that day.  It started out with rain, turned to sleet and ended in snow.  I bought a new hat that afternoon and I felt sort of silly walking home in the snow with a straw hat.  It is navy blue, rather small and has two pink roses on one side.  It's very pretty.  This afternoon I'm going to look for a navy dress.  I need a good dark dress for spring and summer but I may have waited too late to look for it because it's so close to Easter.  I never did get my dress finished, but I did get the sides sewed up.  it wouldn't take but one day to finish it, if I can ever find the time.

We are going to the Coggers for dinner Easter Sunday and may have enough gas to take a little ride in the afternoon.

The Dames had a joint meeting with the Divinity School Dames this week.  It was a discussion on Progressive Education and quite interesting.

Tell Grandma I will write to her one of these days.  I really enjoy getting her letters.  They are always full of news.

Meat is awfully scarce here.  We can get all the lunch meat we want but can't get much of any other kind.

Our telephone was on the bum yesterday but the repair man came this morning and fixed it.  The telephone company here is certainly nice.  A person really appreciates being treated nice for a change.  The clerks in the stores are so rude.

Tonight we're going to a play which is supposed to be good.

There is simply no news.  Our school work goes on the same.  B's vacation is about over.  They have asked him at Hopkins about a full time job for next year.  B asked Dr. Hill what he thought about it and he thought it would be good but we haven't decided.  B told them at Hopkins that he wanted a college teaching job so they know how he feels. It's a little early to take a job anyway.

Well, B has come for lunch so I had better stop.  Write soon."

                                          Lots of love,

                                                   B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  Use the link below for a great video on progressive education in the 40s.
https://edci815.wikispaces.com/Topic+4+Progressive+Education

UPDATED LETTERS:  I have finally identified several undated letters (which were without envelopes) as those missing from the summer of 1943.  The posts have now been updated to include those letters.  To find them, type Graduation into the search box, and then click on the link at the top of the page for February 6, 2012.  That will take you to the updates of May 24, May 29, June 4 and June 11, 1943.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!