Sunday, March 25, 2012

June 9, 1945 B & Bonnie Need Sunshine, The Frozen Thread and 3 Layer Butternut Cake


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"School is out at last.  Now I can do some things I want to.  This last week has been awfully easy.  Thursday afternoon was such a nice sunny afternoon that I got energetic and cleaned the bathroom.  The best paint cleaner I know of is Soilax and it is so easy to use.  Next week I want to clean the rest of the apartment because I'm having the Dames Wednesday evening.

Today I had the new Dames president here for lunch.  We had a club sandwich, potato salad, cake and coffee.  She stayed almost all afternoon and I spent all morning making the cake so that's just about all I've done today.

Tomorrow we're going with the Coggers on a picnic.  We have made up our minds to get out in the sun every Sunday.  We stay inside so much of the time.  Yesterday we bought a badminton set.  It is something like tennis but takes less room to play.  We can play in the park.

Now that I have some time to crochet on my tablecloth I can't get any thread.  They say it is frozen so I'll have to wait awhile for it.  I have been working on that cutwork lunch cloth that I worked on last summer.  It really will be pretty.  I still haven't cut the plaid dress you sent but I have the pattern.  I really was surprised this morning when the postman came with the dress and material.  I'm still kid enough to enjoy getting a package.  The dress is real cute and I needed it.  It is too big but won't be hard to fix.  When I get the plaid and blue checked material made up I'll be pretty well fixed.  Thanks a lot.

There must be lots of gooseberries if you got six quarts out of the yard.  Will there be much fruit this year?

Do you know how Bessie is?  I got an announcement but they didn't write anything.  I sent Francis Jr. a dollar.  I knew he wouldn't want clothes if he goes into the navy and that's about all you can buy for a boy.

We didn't get any Life this week.  They just didn't come for some reason.  I take the Ladies Home Journal so if you don't get yours I'll send you mine.

Would you like me to send you some towels?  The small ones are .49 and are 18" x 36", the large ones are .69 and are 22" x 44".  All of them are Cannons and real nice--all white.

We got an announcement of Dustin's big boy but I haven't sent it anything yet.

Next Sunday is Dad's Day.  I wish we could be with you, Daddy.  Have a nice day.

I'm going to have to stop if I get this mailed in time so write soon."

                                                  Lots of love,

                                                           B & Bonnie
3 Layer Butternut Cake

Cream till light, 1 c. shortening or oleo and 2 c. sugar.  Beat in one at a time, 4 eggs.  Add alternately 2-1/2 c. all-purpose flour, 1/2 c. self-rising flour and 1 c. milk.  Add 2 T. butternut flavoring.  Grease and flour 3-8" round pans.  Bake 30 min. @ 300.  Cool on racks.  Make frosting:  Cream 1 stick oleo and 8 oz. cream cheese.  Beat in 24 oz. confectioners sugar and 1 T butternut flavoring.  Frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!