Saturday, March 24, 2012

June 2, 1945 The End of School, 21 Chicken Dinners and Mystery Shopping


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Today is gloomy again but we have had some real nice days but a little chilly.  Decoration Day was very nice and sunny but awfully windy.  We took our lunch to the park and I took a good sun bath.  B worked on the car and cleaned it up.  It had been so long since anything had been done to it.  Then we went for a ride.  Everything was so quiet and peaceful.

Last Sunday afternoon we went on a picnic with the Coggers.  It rained off and on all afternoon but we had a good time anyway.

B has three days of exams this week and then school will be out.  Graduation exercises were yesterday but he didn't have to take part.  They don't amount to very much.  Five more days and I'll be through with school too.  I'm so bored with school work I can hardly wait till it's out.

Don't sell too many of those chickens.  Ha!  We still have hopes of coming home sometime this summer.  Dr. Hill gave the commencement address at Springfield and he said of the 30 meals they ate in Missouri they had chicken 21 times.  That would suit me fine.


We bought some new towels.  They are white and not very large but they are nice.  We gave .49 for them.  One big one was .69.

My reading is all finished.  I can read a book in two or three afternoons.  I read pretty fast.  I guess when you know you have to do something within a certain time you get it done.  Sometimes I wonder how I did get all my books read.  I hardly ever read a story in a magazine.

What kind of dress are you having made?  I'm going to get a pattern for the sack dress you sent.  I think I'll make it backless.

We're going downtown to do a little shopping at the grocery store and dime store.  I haven't any idea what we'll find to eat.  It's impossible to plan meals anymore but we have plenty to eat anyway.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with Bessie?  Can she be up now?  I hope so.  It seems that she is sick a lot.

Write soon.  I guess we better go before the big rush begins at the grocery store."

                                  Lots of love,

                                             B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!