Friday, March 16, 2012

February 3, 1945 The Wonderful War News, Lots of Lit, The Chinese Auction and Coconut Cream Cake

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I got your letter and the money order today.  I'm so glad you and Beulah liked the material.  Would she want me to send her some?  I still haven't sewed anymore on my dress but I wouldn't send it to you to make.  I'll get it done some of these days.

I would like to read "Yankee Lawyer" but I've read "Here is Your War".  I have plenty of reading to do though.  Two of my classes are literature classes so I have to read 22 novels between now and June.  That's an awful lot of reading with other lessons to get.  I am also taking some music appreciation classes on Tuesday evening from 7:00 - 9:40.  Last week was the first class this semester and it was wonderful.  The teacher is a professional musician who was educated in Vienna.  He teaches at New York University and comes to New Haven one night a week.  His accent is hard to understand but he lectures and plays the piano too and music simply rolls off his fingers when he plays.

I would like to see John.  Is he going into the navy?  The war news has been wonderful.  When we heard that the commander had rescued all those prisoners I could hardly keep from crying.  There were some Connecticut boys in the group.  Was there anyone you knew in the prisoners?

Don't worry about the Life.  If you enjoy it and pass it on to someone else we'll feel we got our money's worth.  Why didn't you go to Mary's & Martha's?  Don't you feel good?

Tonight we are going to the play and afterwards we are having a buffet supper.  There will be five of us and we're having cold cuts, potato salad, cake & coffee.  I've made the cake and it really looks good.

We had baked chicken for supper last night.  The butcher said all poultry would be frozen this week and that would be the last we could get.

The Dames had a Chinese Auction this week and it was lots of fun.  Everyone brought several things they didn't need or want and we auctioned them off to one another.  I took a broom (I had two), a can opener, some old perfume and a box of ice cream powder.  All I bought was 3 patterns (for .05) and they had never been used. 

I hope you are both fine.  Write soon."

                              Lots of love,

                                      B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  The link below will take you to a great letter written by a soldier in France on Feb. 2, 1945.  He predicts the end of the war by June or July.  Of the raid at Cabanatuan, Gen. McArthur is quoted as, "No incident in this war has given me greater pleasure."

http://wwiiletters.blogspot.com/2008/10/919th-field-artillery-wwii-letter-from.html

For more on the raid:
http://www.rangerfamily.org/History/History/Battalion%20Pages/sixth.htm
Rescued POWs

For a partial review of Yankee Lawyer from the Harvard Law Review, Vol. 57, No. 2 (Dec., 1943), use the link below.  The author, Arthur Train was a lawyer who wrote extensive legal intrigue and created in Yankee Lawyer, a fictional attorney named Ephraim Tutt, who apparently captured the hearts of readers and became "real" in the minds of many.
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1334817?uid=3739744&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=55897356773

What's a Chinese Auction?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_auction  Exactly what you would guess--basically a White Elephant event.  It makes me wonder if this is where Bonnie got the idea for their potluck group, the '49ers, that had an annual White Elephant party at Christmas time.  I particularly loved the year that Bonnie soaked cheetos in water and served them as exotic caterpillars on her white elephant platter. 
Coconut Cream Cake 

Cream 2 c. sugar, 1 stick oleo, 1/2 c. shortening and 5 egg whites.  Add and beat well 2 c. flour, 1 tsp. soda, 1 c. buttermilk and 1 tsp. vanilla.  Add 2 c. flaked coconut and 1/2 c. chopped pecans.  Beat 5 egg whites stiff.  Fold into mixture.  Bake in 2 large, round pans (greased & floured) 30-35 min. at 350 or till toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pans 10 min.  Turn out & cool.  Frosting:  Cream 8 oz. cream cheese with 1/2 stick oleo.  Add 3-1/2 cups pwd. sugar.  Optional:  Decorate top with whole nuts and more coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!