Friday, February 17, 2012

December 4, 1943 Dames for Doughnuts, The China Pattern, Giving Notice and Points from Home


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Business is slack, maybe I can write this morning.  Last night I had a few Dames in for a little visiting session, so I didn't have a chance to write.   We had cider and doughnuts for refreshments.  B spent the evening at the library, but managed to get home in time to eat.  We have a regular Dames meeting next Wednesday night.

B got his first check from Hopkins Grammar School.  It was for $100.  We were very pleased.

I have selected my china pattern, but they are out of cups so I have to wait and see if they come in.  It is Lamberton china.  It is ivory with tiny flowers around the edge.  I plan to get 8 plates, salad plates, bread and butter plates, and cups and saucers.  With my store discount off, it will cost about $40.  The serving pieces are awfully high.  The teapot is $9.75.  I like it though and it will last a lifetime.

Sully stayed all last week-end and so we didn't go to church.

I told my boss the first of the month that I was quitting after Christmas.  I'm already planning a million things to do.  I still don't have my bathroom curtains.  I sent the ones I ordered back to Sears and haven't had a chance to get more.

Thanks ever so much for the points.  They always come just in the nick of time.  You better not send so many, since your meat is about gone, you will need them.

I bought a new suit last week.  It is a raspberry red and very nice.  I haven't worn it yet.  After about two months I finally got one of my blouses finished.  It is white jersey, long sleeves and a high neck with a bow at the neck.

We're still buying books.  They are all education books.  B ordered five more yesterday.  By the time B gets educated we're going to have quite a library.

If we ever get to come home we won't know the place with new furniture and all.  I'm glad you are getting a new living room outfit but you will have a hard time getting one.  The old one looked pretty good, didn't it?

There isn't any news, so take things easy and write soon."

                                               Worlds of love,

                                                            B & Bonnie


























NOTE: For more information on ration points, use the link below.

http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org/exhibits/events/rationing.htm 






                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!